Domestic ViolenceFighting to Protect Your Rights
Harrisburg Domestic Violence Lawyer
Defending Clients Who Are Facing Domestic Violence Charges in Dauphin County
Family situations can be tense, and sometimes they can lead to eruptions of emotion that have consequences. Spouses or exes may use charges of domestic abuse to gain control in situations involving child custody or even as a way to create space during the conflict. If you were charged with domestic violence, you need to act immediately to avoid having protective orders put in place against you. Get help from the Harrisburg domestic violence lawyers at the Dorward Law Firm.
Have you been charged with domestic violence? Call the Dorward Law Firm today at (717) 429-0411 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with our domestic violence lawyers in Harrisburg.
What is Domestic Violence in Pennsylvania?
In Pennsylvania, domestic violence is defined as an act of physical, sexual, or psychological abuse that occurs between family or household members, sexual or intimate partners, or individuals who share a child in common. Family or household members include former spouses, spouses, persons who are related by marriage or blood, persons who are or have been in a dating relationship, and persons who have a child in common, regardless of whether they have lived together at any time or have been married.
How Serious is a Domestic Violence Charge?
When charged with domestic violence in Pennsylvania, you may be subject to criminal penalties, including imprisonment, fines, and a criminal record. You may also be facing a protective order against you that will bar you from being within a certain distance from those specified in the order. This can make it nearly impossible to carry on life as usual, requiring you to find a new place to live, put your things, and operate from.
How The Dorward Law Firm Can Help You
Following an arrest, our domestic violence attorneys in Harrisburg may be able to help you show that:
- You were preventing abuse by the other person
- You were falsely charged in order to lose child custody
- You are not the person that committed the alleged crime
- There is no proof of the allegations against you
When family situations become complicated, people can do irrational things because they aren’t sure what else to do. Unfortunately, once law enforcement arrives, there is no time to change your mind and open up communication. Someone will be arrested in order to protect the other person.
What Factors Are Considered During Sentencing For Domestic Violence Convictions In Pennsylvania?
When determining the appropriate sentence for domestic violence convictions in Pennsylvania, the court takes certain factors into consideration. If you are facing charges in Pennsylvania, you must consult with an experienced Harrisburg domestic violence lawyer at The Dorward Law Firm to understand how these factors may affect your case.
Here are the key factors considered during sentencing:
- The nature and severity of the offense are assessed by the court, which considers the level of bodily harm inflicted on the victim, the use of weapons, and the duration and how often the abuse occurred.
- The defendant's criminal history, particularly any prior domestic violence convictions, is considered. Repeat infractions may result in higher penalties.
- The court analyzes the victim's bodily, emotional, and psychological harm. The long-term repercussions or injuries caused by domestic abuse are also taken into account.
- The defendant's attitude, level of remorse, and acceptance of responsibility for their conduct are taken into account. Genuine remorse and a willingness to participate in rehabilitation can have an impact on the sentencing decision.
- The defendant's adherence to restraining orders, probation conditions, and court-mandated counseling or treatment programs is evaluated by the court. Failure to cooperate could result in greater penalties.
- Aggravating and mitigating circumstances of incidents are considered by the court. Factors like as the presence of children during the incident, the use of weapons, or attempts to intimidate or quiet the victim may be considered “aggravating”. Evidence of self-defense or provocation by the victim, on the other hand, may be deemed “mitigating”.
- The defendant's rehabilitation potential is considered. Participation in therapy, anger management programs, or other interventions focused on at resolving underlying issues may influence the sentencing decision.
Sentencing outcomes can vary significantly based on the unique circumstances of each case. Speaking with a skilled domestic violence attorney in Harrisburg, PA is crucial to building a strong defense strategy and navigating the legal process.
Contact Our Domestic Violence Attorneys Today
The Dorward Law Firm may be able to help you avoid the serious consequences of a violent crime. Our Harrisburg domestic violence attorneys know the process for investigating protective orders and working to get your life back in order. While you are innocent of criminal wrongdoing until proven guilty, protective orders and other protections can have the same consequences as a conviction as far as your life goes. Let us help you continue seeing your loved ones and protecting your way of life.
Our domestic violence lawyers offer free consultation and have a proven track record of success. We provide personalized attention and have over 10 years of experience handling domestic violence cases in Pennsylvania. We are dedicated to protecting your rights and making ourselves available whenever you need us. Contact us to discuss your matter and receive the guidance you need.
Contact the Dorward Law Firm today to get started on your defense with our Harrisburg domestic violence lawyer.
- Removal From Sex Offender Registration Juvenile Subject to Lifetime Sex Offender Registration
- Success on Appeal Homicide by Vehicle While DUI
- Charges Dismissed Felony Drug
- Charges Dismissed DUI Charges for CDL driver
- Charges Dismissed Driving Under Suspension DUI Related
We are specifically trained in DUI defense. Visit our bio to learn more!
We offer payment plans for your convenience.
Over 10 years of legal experience defending the accused.
We make ourselves available whenever you need us.